Monday, May 9, 2011

New Directions

I am thinking that although Magic finds flyball to be one fabulous time, perhaps its not the best occupation for his body.  He is not holding his adjustments and quite honestly I am not willing to risk permanent injury, just because he loves it. Honestly though I can't say for sure its the flyball,. I don't know about anyone else's cardi's, but mine play very rough, and I often cringe when I see how hard they go after each other.  And the boy can't be confined all the time, that is no life.  I have already started refusing to tug with him which he finds very frustrating. He is constantly offering to play. I worry, I don't want to risk injury, but I also want him happy.

 We haven't been doing any agility either because with Darryl not working, I couldn't afford to train or compete in any more events.  I don't know if his body can handle agility either?  Herding? Maybe I will have to see how it goes.   I am planning on entering agility next Friday night, just to see how he holds up- there is only tunnelers, weavers and jumpers that day, so physically those are a little less hard on the body.  He has another chiro appointment the following Monday so it might be an indication of how he is holding.

So in the end, Magic may become an obedience dog after all. Sadly that is not his preference and I haven't figured out how to help him find the joy in that, but we will work toward it. And maybe we will pick up on tracking or herding.  He is only 6.5 so should have a long career ahead in something. Or maybe he can just be my best buddy, but trials wont be the same without him. 

I guess I am just rambling on about the thoughts that have been in my head lately.  Not sure really what the future will hiold, I just know I want to have Magic in my life as long as possible.

8 comments:

Jules said...

I am sorry to hear flyball might be a bit much for Magic's body. I can understand why that might be though. It is hard to give up something our dog enjoys.

penni said...

Tracking is a great "rest break" for the dogs. They love it, but it is not running or leaping or twisting. It's lots of mind work AND the dogs get to be in charge. You might throw some tracking in for a change of pace and to allow their bodies to heal. It is also very inexpensive -- you can track just about anywhere.

Taryn said...

I have often thought flyball looked really tough on a dog's body, especially if it's a high-drive dog. Sort of the same way that you don't want to ask for a 2 on/2 off on the aframe where the dogs slam themselves into the ground. It is a hard decision to quit, but you have to think ahead to when the dog will be old. Wilson has shoulder issues, and his chiro said if I want him walking as an old man, knock off the agility now. So he gets an occasional jumpers run at the end of one of Jimmy's private lessons, but that's about it.

I am letting him take a few herding lessons this month, and that is making him VERY happy :-)

Cindy said...

You know, I was thinking tracking also. It's cheap to train, other then finding the good locations. And it's just you and your dog.

ronstew said...

I have to say this bluntly: Flyball is not a sport for a cardigan with back issues or any jount problems. See my January 26 comment.

Herding gets my vote.

K-Koira said...

Hopefully you'll be able to make a good decision for you and Magic.

Flyball is no harder on a dog's body, when properly trained, than agility, and probably a bit easier than something like disc. But all of them are high impact sports.

Its really a matter of if you can find something else that he will enjoy doing. A long life without enjoyment is pointless, but you do want as long of a healthy life as possible with as much enjoyment as possible included. Such a balancing game.

Lani said...

It is a hard decision. Before Denzil moved to my parents' house, we had to curtail most of his activities. Of course, he had arthritis, and would really show the pain when he overdid.

For me, a lot of it depends on what kind of dog they are with that activity. For example, Denzil could never say no - regardless of pain or peril. Maggie, on the other hand, knows when to quit, so I trust her doing a bit more even in old age.

It's a tough decision, though - and you know your boy best!

mary said...

Sorry to hear this Dawn. I am having to make the same decisions with my JJ who suffered a tricep strain. He loves his sheep but I am not willing to let him hurt himself again.