Sunday, May 3, 2009

Garden again and Rhubard recipe

Well all the little plantings survived the night. It is a little early to be planting, normal years we would wait a bit longer, but they are predicting nothing below 40 for the next week so we gave it a go. If we do lose some plants, we will have time to replace. Heck in northern Minnesota there is still snow on the ground, so we are just going to take advantage and enjoy the lovely weather.

Rhubard Custard pie is my favorite, but the Rhubarb Custard cake is so easy and really wonderful. If anyone wants to try it, it is super easy. Make a standard cake mix, I usually use yellow, but have seen white used. Pour into the cake pan. Cover with 3-4 cups cut up rhubarb, sprinkle that with about 1 cup of sugar (I prefer a little less), then gently poor 2 cups cream over the top and bake. The rhubarb and cream goes to the bottom like a pudding cake, which really is what this is. NMM sweet and tart. Enjoy!

1 comment:

Janet said...

That's the second praise of rhubarb I have seen this week. I don't think we do rhubarb down south - I don't even have a clue what it is!!