Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Magic's Lump- updated


See the lump? We don't know what it is. We know its not a fluid filled cyst, or a piece of foreign matter, at least nothing that shows on the xray. A tumor? An inflamation? Its a pretty firm defined lump, so inflamation is unlikely.  The vet was unable to extract anything with a needle, so we have 2 options-wait and see what it does, or have it removed now. Thoughts?  I am leaning toward NOW.

Updated- Taryn asked if it was sudden or slow. Last fall/winter he had a similar lump, appeared sudden, then faded away.  At the time I thought maybe spider/bug bite?  This one also appeared suddenly, but is not fading-instead it became hard, and possibly larger. And its been there now for 2 weeks, which is what made me nervous.

9 comments:

Taryn said...

Did it come on suddenly or was it a slow growth?

M.T. said...

Is it a major procedure with lots of risks to remove it? If not, i would be leaning towards NOW. Not being able to get any additional info on it would just make me realyl nervous ... better safe than sorry, but that's just me!

penni said...

I'm a "now" person with the dogs. What is the down side to removing it -- anesthetic I would guess. Good thoughts for Magic.

Baledwr said...

any tiny marks that would indicate a bite or puncture? It does look like a spider bite kindof...I've seen them last awhile before the swelling goes down. Of course I've also seen major hair loss on the bite with those type.

Sarah said...

I dunno, I always lean toward NOW, but is there anything risky with that area? It's not like there's lots of extra skin, and are there any major nerves in the area? I'd be more gung-ho if it were somewhere near a big hunk of muscle or skin or something. The vet doesn't have any idea what it is? Strange. BUT, it IS in the prime location for stinging/biting things, when Magic might stick his pretty nose into a shrub or under a plant or something. Keep us posted, and sending good thoughts.

coopercreek said...

Oh no! Sending good thoughts to you and Magic. Hope you can find out what it is soon.

Lindsay said...

Could it possibly be tooth related. I've seen a tooth abcess in a canine tooth manifest itself in a lump on the animals nose before. It's been a while, but I'm pretty sure that nothing came out when a needle aspiration was done. However, the did figure out that it was tooth related and once the tooth was pulled, the found the abcess, and the bump went away and never came back.

Jules said...

Oh no. Poor Magic! I hope it is nothing serious.

The Oceanside Animals said...

I don't like lumps, especially hard ones that seem to be fixed and don't move with the skin. If it can't be identified I would get it removed.