Thursday, October 9, 2008

Magic and the babies

This is Magic and his babies. From the time that the babies were tiny, pink featherless creatures up to today. As soon as the tiny babies would peep in the incubator, he would run and find me-MOM come the babies need you! He would lay on the couch for hours watching the babies, if they started to cry for feeding, Magic would whine. When I would start making baby food, he would run back and forth between me and the babies. I swear, all the while telling me to hurry up and telling them that it's coming. I learned to feed babies with a corgi head tucked up under my arm supervising. Although we didn't let Magic lick the babies, he occasionally managed to get a swipe in, to clean off a dirty beak.

As the babies started to fledge, we were worried about him chasing or stepping on the babies, so we tried to keep him away from them, but it didn't work. He was just frantic to be near his babies. As it turned out, we had nothing to worry about. He continued to watch over the little birds. If one landed on the floor during flight practice, not only would Magic go watch over it, he would actually stand over the top of them, so no one else could step on them. Often the little birds would just land on him, and he would reach back and give them a kiss while they climbed all over him. To this day, if one of the small birds lands on the floor, Magic will protect them-which is a good thing because we are sure Grace would eat them if she got the chance.

10 comments:

Cathy Santarsiero, "The Christmas Corgi" said...

Hi there! Your Corgis and Parrotlets are just adorable!

dreameyce said...

Beautiful! Cardis can be SO intuitive! Reminds me of my Traumy with 'his' babies. He's VERY nurturing with my rat babies.

VERY adorable birds! I have a 'tiel, and am just smitten with the Parrotlets I've met :)

Jules said...

That is so wonderful!!
Magic sounds like a VERy special corgi boy.

RegentCardis said...

Aww, that is so sweet. What a precious picture.

manymuddypaws said...

awww, how sweet is that!

Ebonwald Cardigans said...

It must be the litter, Sadie loves to watch the cockatiel and parakeet for hours..sitting on her haunches in front of the cage watching them. When they are out and land on the ground she goes up to them and lays down and watches them.

I don't think she's as nurturing as Magic....that's just amazing!

Sarah said...

Oh Dawn, you HAVE to enter this photo in the CWCCA photo contest. It's just so sweet!

coopercreek said...

Awww. That's so neat. Yay Magic Man. :-)

Sherilyn said...

Awwwwww....that is just too cute! :) When I had my Amazon Parrot, Ace, my Shelties used to wait until Ace threw food on the floor for them. I think they had something worked out. ;)

Thanks for the smile!

Anonymous said...

That is just so sweet!